Allies withheld air support decision Srebrenica
The decision was taken by the United States, France and Britain. According to a documentary research Argos, which will be broadcast tonight on NPO 2.
The decision was never shared with the Netherlands confirms former defense minister Joris Voorhoeve against the NIS.
The same goes for information well before the fall of the Muslim enclave on July 11, 1995, previously available and it indicated that there was an imminent attack on the enclave. The Dutch peacekeepers were in Srebrenica the job to protect thousands of Bosnian Muslims.
The makers of Argos rely mainly on hundreds of American documents made public in 2013 by Bill Clinton, who was president during the Yugoslav civil war.
Kidnappings
Joris Voorhoeve, then the Dutch Defense Minister, participated in the documentary. He traveled with journalists from Argos back to Srebrenica. Voorhoeve confirmed that he was aware of the decision to suspend air strikes on Serb targetsVoorhoeve:.
In the documentary says "The decision as laid down in the text, there is the whole word Netherlands not guarantee Personally, I think. extremely serious. And this was not communicated to the Netherlands. You ally and the Netherlands had the most difficult task in eastern Bosnia. So it had to be done.
"TheBosnian government was unaware, says former minister Foreign Minister Mohamed Sacirbey in the broadcast. "I knew nothing about it until you just told me."
The decision was prompted by the fact that there were UN soldiers taken hostage by the Serbs. That happened in the run-up to the fall of Srebrenica, but also several dozen Dutch soldiers were detained in the capture of the enclave itself.
Voorhoeve says to the NOS that he was only a few months ago learned that the allies then secretly decide had been taken to no longer carry out air strikes. According Voorhoeve had air support can make a big difference. "Then Mladic was changed to me of course, he had halted around the enclave, he pinched but not overrun."
.jpg)